Bacon, without the bulge!! These juicy, beefy, burgers are packed with the delicious taste of bacon yet are astonishingly low in fat, calories and sodium.
The recipe was inspired by the burgers served at Slater’s 50/50, a restaurant famous with lines out the door waiting for its big, juicy burgers made with a “50/50” blend of ground bacon and beef. (Yep, they’re 50% bacon.)
It was no easy feat creating an equally bodacious burger without the usual 1,200 calorie cost, but I promise you, this big 1/3 pound burger topped with creamy barbecue sauce with just 350 calories – bun and all – does the 50/50 proud!
Makes 4 Servings
• 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
• 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
• 3 slices center-cut bacon, diced
• 1/2 cup minced onion
• 1 cup minced fresh mushrooms
• 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
• 1 large egg white
• 1 pound lean ground beef
• 4 whole grain hamburger buns (like Pepperidge Farm)
• Lettuce and tomato, optional
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the first 2 ingredients. Set aside.
2. Place a medium, nonstick skillet over medium heat, add bacon, and cook for 3 minutes, or until the bacon starts to render some fat. Add the onions and sauté until soft (bacon should be meaty, not crisp). Remove skillet from heat, and stir in next 6 ingredients (mushrooms through egg white). Add the beef, and mix gently to combine. Divide the beef mixture into 4 portions, and flatten to form patties.*
3. Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Warm the buns.
4. On the bottom of each bun, place a lettuce leaf and slice of tomato, if desired, and a burger. Top with 1 tablespoon of the barbecue spread and top half of the bun.
Dare to Compare: The famous bacon-packed signature burger at Slater’s 50/50 also comes packed with 1,220 calories and 73 grams of fat, including an entire day’s worth of saturated fat.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: (1 hamburger) Calories 350 | Carbohydrate 29g (Sugars 6g) | Total Fat 11 g (Sat Fat 5g) | Protein 38g | Fiber 5g | Cholesterol 75mg | Sodium 460mg | Food Exchanges: 4 Lean Meat, 1 1/2 Starch, 1/2 Vegetable | Carbohydrate Choices: 2 | Weight Watcher Plus Point Comparison: 9