Made with just a bowl and a spoon, and requiring NO yeast, this tasty Irish bread is one of the easiest homemade breads you can make. And it’s delightful whether you eat it for breakfast, with an afternoon cup of tea, or with an Irish-inspired dinner. Both both sweet and savory, it’s guaranteed to please!
If that were not enough, it has 1/2 of the usual calories, saturated fat (and points!) – but you needn’t tell anyone this… Add an egg and fresh fruit for a healthy breakfast, a slice of reduced-fat cheese for a filling snack, or lean corned beef and plenty of boiled cabbage for an authentic Irish dinner.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup no-calorie sweetener**
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons caraway seeds
2 tablespoons cold butter
1/3 cup currants (or chopped raisins)
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon milk (for brushing)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 8-inch cake pan with nonstick spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sweetener, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add butter (tip: you can also grate it in with a large holed grater). Using fingertips, rub in until coarse meal forms. Mix in currants or raisins. Make well in center of flour mixture. Stir in buttermilk and pull dough together to form a ball (add up to 1 extra tablespoon of buttermilk if needed to make dough).
3. Using floured hands, place dought on a board and need for 30 seconds or so to form a soft ball. Create rounded loaf about 6 1/2 “ in diameter.
4. Place loaf in pan. Tuck in any currents that are on surface to keep from burning, brush loaf with milk, and with a sharp knife make an X across the top of the loaf.
5. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until top is well browned and tester inserted into center comes out clean. Transfer bread to a rack and let cool at least 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
** If you use Truvia for Baking or another sugar/no-calorie baking blend, use 3 tablespoons.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: (1/12 of loaf) Calories 135 | Carbohydrate 25g (Sugars 6 g) | Total Fat 2.5 g (Sat Fat 1 g) | Protein 4g | Fiber 1g | Cholesterol 55 mg | Sodium 250 mg | Food Exchanges: 1 1/2 Carbohydrate, 1/2 Fat | Carbohydrate Choices: 1 1/2 | Weight Watcher Plus Point Comparison: 3
Weight Watcher Smart Point Comparison: 4