There’s nothing sweet about the amount of sugar found in traditional summer sippers, yet when it comes to Southern hospitality, well, you just have to have sweet tea. Fortunately with so many choices in no- and low-calorie sweeteners these days you can have it all (see below for my favorite all natural sweetener).
This cool, refreshing, sugar-free version of the South’s favorite summer-time beverage makes a full half gallon. I prefer the Luzianne brand for iced tea but your favorite brand will work as well.
Makes 8 servings
2 cups water
2 family size (or 8 individual) tea bags
1 cup no-calorie granulated sweetener (or 24 packets of choice*)
Lemon slices for garnish
* Each packet = the equivalent of 2 teaspoons of sugar sweetness no matter the type or brand. Truvia is my favorite all natural sweetener. If you use the baking blend, follow the directions and use 1/2 as much as you would sugar or granulated substitute. You will still get a 75% reduction is sugar and an all natural beverage.
1. Bring the water to a boil in either the microwave or in a small pot on the stove.
2. Remove from the heat and add the tea bags. Add the sweetener, cover, and steep for 15 minutes.
3. Carefully place the entire mixture (including the tea bags) into one-half gallon container or pitcher. Add enough cold water to make 1/2 gallon (6 additional cups). Place tea in refrigerator until ready to serve.
4. To serve, fill tall glasses with crushed ice. Place a couple of sprigs of fresh mint into each glass and fill with tea. Garnish with lemon slices.
Dare to Compare: On the road? Grab a bottle of Sweet Tea and your perk-up will cost you over 200 calories and 58 grams of sugar. Go for a big 32-ouncer instead and you will be gulping down 75 to 100 grams of sugar (that’s 18 to 25 teaspoons of sugar in your cup!)
Nutrition Information Per Serving (1 cup): Calories 10 | Carbohydrate 2 g (Sugars 0g) | Total Fat 0g (Sat Fat 0g) | Protein 0g | Fiber 0g | Cholesterol 0mg | Sodium 0mg | Food Exchanges: Free Food| Carbohydrate Choices 0 | Weight Watcher Plus Point Comparison 0