This pizza-inspired dish is not only super simple, but also just plain super! In fact, the first time I made this my hungry husband and teenage sons loved it so much, they barely left me a bite.
For a simple meal, just add a nice green salad and a toasty roll to mop up the extra sauce, or for a heftier meal (the way my boys like it) place the cooked chicken, cheese, and sauce onto a bed of whole-grain pasta before serving.
(P.S. This recipe can be reduced in sodium by either using a reduced-sodium marinara – like my slow-cooker all-purpose marinara – and/or by replacing the pepperoni with cooked mushrooms*.)
Makes 4 servings
1. Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Spread the marinara sauce in a 10-inch pie plate or 9 x 9-inch ceramic or glass baking dish. Crumble the dried oregano and sprinkle it over the sauce.
2. Cover the chicken breasts in plastic wrap and gently pound to ½-inch thickness. Sprinkle the chicken breasts with the black pepper.
3. Spread the Parmesan in a shallow dish. Roll the chicken in the Parmesan and lay the breasts on top of the marinara. Bake for 13 minutes.
4. Remove the chicken from the oven, sprinkle with the Italian blend cheese and oregano, top with pepperoni slices (and/or prepped mushrooms) and bake another 5 to 7 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
* To prepare mushrooms before adding to the dish, place a paper towel on top of a flat plate and microwave for 45 seconds.
Food Exchanges: 5 Lean Meat, 1 Vegetable, ½ Fat